HWF Forum Updates

Welcome to our temporary forum!
JudyB

Re: Issues with HWF Forum

Post by JudyB » Sun Nov 07, 2021 11:59 am

Sunday, November 7, 2021

11:28 am pacific time/2:28 pm eastern time

The forum is down again. According to reports I've received, it was down a bit before 11 am pacific, back up for a bit around 11:15 (or possibly back up for people from some areas), and is down again now, at least for me.

We've been in touch with David Hathaway, the tech person for the forum, and he is opening a ticket with the server people, because he thinks it's likely an issue at that level rather than a problem with the forum software or the things that he could fix.

We have notified him about today's issues and haven't heard back from him - which likely means that he does not yet have any new, potentially useful information from the server people or that he is busy with other things (it is a Sunday) - or both. He is very dedicated and very good at what he does, so I expect he will get to the bottom of this - but it is hard to handle issues that only show up some of the time, with no apparent pattern or reason - and go away equally quickly, again with no obvious rhyme or reason.

And the forum just came back for me at 11:40 am - or at least let me post the post I'd been submitting every few minutes since before I started this post.

And when I tried again, I got the Error 525 Message saying my browser is fine and Cloudflare is fine but the host for the forum has issues.

As background - this is a small forum that I set up; it's not related to HWF beyond the fact that gemini and I use it for testing sometimes, and it's where I test updates. And I have it up as a way to reach people when the HWF site is down. This thread about issues is public so anyone can read what's happening, when we get a chance to post here.

Members and friends of HWF may join the forum. I do have new member registration turned off when nothing's happening because we mostly get spammers applying then - I have reopened it now, and anyone is welcome to register and post here. Please use the same name you use on the forum so we recognize you.

I have turned off the ability to post attachments - please save them until the HWF forum is back and post them there. There are technical reasons why I've done this that I'll share if anyone really wants to know.

You can also email me at judyb@hancockwildlife.org, and if that doesn't work, you can try judyb.hwf at gmail which uses com after the dot (hoping that slows down the spam to that account).

And I'm back into the forum at 11:58 am - but it's still going up and down so I don't expect that to last.

Ever the optimist, I'm hoping that means someone is working on the problem. :thumbup:

IrishEyes

Re: HWF Forum Updates

Post by IrishEyes » Sun Nov 07, 2021 1:43 pm

Thank You Judy !
Bev
Live Cams : https://hancockwildlife.org/project/live-cams/

Be Respectful ! --- Bev !

IrishEyes

Post by IrishEyes » Sun Nov 07, 2021 1:44 pm

Thank You Judy !
Bev
Live Cams : https://hancockwildlife.org/project/live-cams/

Be Respectful ! --- Bev !

JudyB

Post by JudyB » Thu Dec 02, 2021 3:01 pm

December 2 2021, 3 pm

Several of us are getting an error message when we try to log into the forum. We've sent a message to tech person David Hathaway, and hopefully things will be back to normal soon.

Journi

Post by Journi » Thu Dec 02, 2021 3:25 pm

:peek: Hi Judy - It's 5:19pm my time (CT) and I'm still am getting the "Error" message. (Just wanted to FYI).

:reference: Question: The time that shows in this backup forum - is it Eastern standard time or is it my time zone?
Thanks, Journi
:beamup:

JudyB

Post by JudyB » Thu Dec 02, 2021 3:37 pm

Journi wrote:
Thu Dec 02, 2021 3:25 pm
:peek: Hi Judy - It's 5:19pm my time (CT) and I'm still am getting the "Error" message. (Just wanted to FYI).

:reference: Question: The time that shows in this backup forum - is it Eastern standard time or is it my time zone?
Thanks, Journi
I'm in the Eastern time zone, and your post shows as 6:25 pm. If you also see 6:25 pm, then the default is Eastern. If you see 3:25 pm, it's Pacific (which is the default for the HWF forum).

If you want your posts to be in Central, you can click on your name in the upper right, then pick User Control Panel, then Board Preferences.

Journi

Post by Journi » Thu Dec 02, 2021 3:43 pm

JudyB wrote:
Thu Dec 02, 2021 3:37 pm
Journi wrote:
Thu Dec 02, 2021 3:25 pm

Thanks, Journi
I'm in the Eastern time zone, and your post shows as 6:25 pm. If you also see 6:25 pm, then the default is Eastern. If you see 3:25 pm, it's Pacific (which is the default for the HWF forum).

If you want your posts to be in Central, you can click on your name in the upper right, then pick User Control Panel, then Board Preferences.
My post showed that I'm on CT. Thanks! :thumbup: ~Journi

JudyB

Post by JudyB » Sun Dec 26, 2021 7:36 am

Sunday, December 26, 2021

As many of you know, we had issues with the Hancock Wildlife forum yesterday, which were resolved eventually (it appears to have been a server issue) - and we are having issues again today.

This thread should be visible to everyone - and I have turned on registration, so if any HWF members would like to post here, you should be able to register. Please use your HWF forum name so I have a chance of recognizing you - I don't have as much anti-spam protection here as we do on the forum, so do need to be careful about accepting new members.

We have sent a message to David Hathaway, the tech expert for the forum, but it is early on a holiday weekend in BC, so it may be a while before he sees the messages.

JudyB

Post by JudyB » Thu Dec 30, 2021 7:53 am

Thursday, December 30, 2021

I think our tech person has sorted out the issues we've been having with the forum, so I have turned off Registrations here, since all we were getting was potential spammers.

JudyB

Post by JudyB » Wed Jan 05, 2022 8:37 am

Registrations are open for HWF forum members - please use your forum name so I recognize you, and there is only one of me, so it may take a while to approve membership so you can post.

We have locked the HWF forum in the hopes that will make it easier to fix things.

I've sent the following to some of the more active members, but know I've missed some:

'Morning, everyone! We are unfortunately still having an issue with the forum. After consulting with our tech person David Hathaway, I've locked the board while we try to fix things. I think TAs and FAs may still be able to access the board - even if you can post, please don't.

I have unlocked my backup forum http://www.wildlifecamwatch.com so you can join and post updates on the nests and message each other there (once you've joined and I've approved your membership) - if you want to do that, please use the same member name as on the Hancock forum so I will recognize that you're a real person.

You will not be able to move your posts back to the HWF forum and you can't post pictures there - I'm thinking it's more a place where you can make a note when the chicks were fed (or whatever) with a plan to update the real forum when we finally get it back to normal.

We are trying to bring back a copy of the forum from Sunday, January 2, before we lost a bunch of posts while trying to deal with what appeared to be a spam attack or something of that nature - so if you peek in and see posts from the 3rd or 4th, that means it's not fixed, and any posts you make will disappear if we are able to restore the backup.

If you have any questions, please let me know.

Thank you for your patience and your support.