HWF Forum Updates

Welcome to our temporary forum!
JudyB

Re: HWF Forum Updates

Post by JudyB » Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:12 pm

January 23, 10:00 pm
David Hathaway is trying again to run the update on the forum software - hopefully this time it will work.

JudyB

Post by JudyB » Thu Jun 27, 2019 6:08 am

June 27, 2019
6:07 am

The HWF forum https://forum.hancockwildlife.org/ is having issues this morning. We've contacted the tech person, and I expect he'll get this resolved once it's a little later in BC.

JudyB

Post by JudyB » Wed Jul 03, 2019 1:57 pm

July 3, 2019
1:56 pm

As some of you may have noticed, we're missing posts on the HWF forum from the last few days. This is related to the problem we had a few days ago, and our tech person is trying to find a way to recover the missing posts and put them where they belong - and while that is happening, we're asking people to not post on the forum. Thanks!

If you wish to post here, you do need to be a member if you aren't already. Please use the same user name as on the forum if you register so we can recognize you. Thanks!

JudyB

Post by JudyB » Tue Feb 18, 2020 8:41 am

February 18 2020

We are getting ready to upgrade the software on the HWF forum, and are doing a test run here. Part of the process is to remove the customization, so for a while, the forum will have the default "shaded of blue" style, until I figure out how to switch back to our "hwf" style.

This was also a test to make sure members can still post.

And attach pictures (which we don't normally do here because this little backup forum doesn't have a lot of room - but need to do occasionally for testing).

This should be a lovely picture from Harrison Mills:
20200217_001.jpg
And it clicks to full size as it should (it wasn't that big to begin with).

This should be a picture of my cat - the sort of large picture people take of their local wildlife (Chelsea Girl is not that wild, but we think she's beautiful).

And I get a message saying the file is too large. Off to study the attachment settings for the new version.

I temporarily changed the maximum size for attachments to 4MB, which is what we allow on HWF, and am trying my cat picture again.
IMG_9036.JPG

It took a long time to load - but it worked! It's also 4000 px wide, which is another issue we had.

Now that I've tested that, I'm putting the maximum size back to 256 kb, which is big enough for most screenshots.

And now that I've put the settings back, you can still see the very large picture of Chelsea when you click on it, which means we could temporarily increase the limits if we wanted to do so, though I really don't - this is intended as a temporary forum for when the regular HWF forum is down.

JudyB

Post by JudyB » Thu Feb 27, 2020 7:49 am

Thursday, February 27, 2020

HWF's forum tech person David Hathaway is planning to update the software for our Hancock Wildlife Foundation tonight, probably starting around 9 pm pacific time (midnight eastern) when most of the eagles (and observers) are tucked in for the night.

If we have additional information about the update while the HWF forum is offline, we'll post it here.

IrishEyes

Post by IrishEyes » Thu Feb 27, 2020 9:05 am

Thank you Judy !
Live Cams : https://hancockwildlife.org/project/live-cams/

Be Respectful ! --- Bev !

JudyB

Post by JudyB » Thu Feb 27, 2020 7:55 pm

Tonight’s update may start earlier than planned - sorry for any inconvenience.

JudyB

Post by JudyB » Wed Aug 19, 2020 8:30 am

Wednesday, August 19

We Are Having Issues with the Hancock Wildlife Forum

People who are signed in can post - but those who aren't logged in are getting error messages when they try to sign in.

It is not you or your internet provider - it's a forum issue.

Our tech person is working on this. We will probably have to bring the forum offline at least once as he's resetting things - and worst case scenario, we may need to revert to a backup that's 24-48 hours old, losing our posts for the last day or two. We hope it won't come to that, but if the server crash that took the forum down briefly yesterday damaged files, that may be necessary.

Please let other folks know - I woke up to a lot of emails and won't get back to everyone right away. Thanks!

Our tech person was up late working on this - and I expect he'll need to work with the company hosting his servers to determine how to proceed, so it may be a while before I have an update.

I'll continue posting updates on the most active threads on the forum as long as the forum stays up. You can also see recent announcements in our announcement thread - https://forum.hancockwildlife.org/viewt ... 70#p371070

If you want to sign in to post here, please use your Forum user name so I can recognize you. Thanks!

IrishEyes

Post by IrishEyes » Wed Aug 19, 2020 9:25 am

Hi Judy !
Live Cams : https://hancockwildlife.org/project/live-cams/

Be Respectful ! --- Bev !

JudyB

Re: Issues with HWF Forum

Post by JudyB » Fri Nov 05, 2021 2:59 am

As of November 5 2021, we seem to be having intermittent issues posting to the Hancock Wildlife forum. I'm not noticing a problem here (this forum is running the same slightly out of date version of the software) - but I don't go here or post here often, so hard to catch an intermittent issue.