HWF Forum Updates

Welcome to our temporary forum!
JudyB

HWF Forum Updates

Post by JudyB » Tue Mar 29, 2016 6:47 pm

Please post here when the forum is down and when it's back up. Thanks!

JudyB

Re: HWF Forum Updates

Post by JudyB » Tue Mar 29, 2016 6:49 pm

March 29, 6:48 pm
The forum isn't totally down, but it's taking a very long time for anything to open, and I haven't had the patience to see if I could post.
I've sent an email to Ken, and also sent a text message - but it is dinner time in BC, and I sort of hope he has his phone off.

JudyB

Post by JudyB » Wed Mar 30, 2016 10:57 am

March 30
10:55 am
Forum is down. I've sent an email to Ken (with cc to his non-HWF email account)

Forum back up at 11:04 am - thanks, Ken!

JudyB

Post by JudyB » Thu Mar 31, 2016 7:08 am

March 31
7:08 am
Forum has slowed to a crawl. I sent a message to Ken.

JudyB

Post by JudyB » Thu Jun 30, 2016 7:07 am

June 30, 2016
7:00 am

The forum went down sometime overnight and is now displaying a Fedora test page - which suggests that there may be a problem with our account. We've notified Ken, and I know he'll check as soon as he can - but also know he needs to put his mother's needs first as she's recovering from hip surgery.

Also, the embedded cams for Harrison Mills and Delta 2 are not working on the WildEarth site or on my test page (White Rock and Lafarge are OK); I've sent a message to Peter at WildEarth in case that's an issue at his end, and got a reply that he'll check into it - so hopefully they will be back soon on the WildEarth site, so people can watch while Ken works on the HWF issue. The direct access/zoomer links are working, and I'm watching Harrison Mills until other zoomers check in here or via email, and all is fine.

9:12 am
The forum came back up a few minutes ago - big thanks to Ken!
And all the cams are streaming on WE, and the ones I checked are streaming on our site - thanks to Peter, too!

JudyB

Post by JudyB » Wed Nov 01, 2017 11:26 am

November 1, 2017

The Hancock Wildlife Foundation forum and website went down sometime yesterday. Our tech person Ken reported yesterday afternoon that the file server was down, they know what the problem is and are working on it.

For those who tried to log in here earlier today, I hadn't done updates for a while so figured I'd do that while it was still early morning on the west coast - but as always happens, something strange came up, so I spent most of the morning chatting with tech support. Happily it's fixed now, and we're running a current version of the software here.

When we have news about the forum, we'll post it here and on the HWF Facebook page.

Thanks for your patience!

JudyB

Post by JudyB » Fri Nov 03, 2017 2:02 pm

November 3, 2017
Jkr talked with our primary tech person Ken this morning, and he said that they are still having problems and are still working on it. Sending good thoughts their way!

IrishEyes

Post by IrishEyes » Fri Nov 03, 2017 3:38 pm

3:34pm.Nest Time.

Thank You Judy and Judy jkr for the updates.....I too am sending good thoughts to Ken and all involved ..
Live Cams : https://hancockwildlife.org/project/live-cams/

Be Respectful ! --- Bev !

JudyB

Post by JudyB » Wed Nov 08, 2017 1:22 pm

Wednesday, November 8, 2017
3:40 pm

I spoke to Ken, our primary tech person, yesterday - and he said that they are continuing to work hard to fix the server, and he still has no way of knowing when it might actually be back online.

I live in Maine - and we had a major windstorm the night of October 29, and by the morning of the 30th as the storm was moving on, there were more than a half million customers (households and businesses) without power - which is pretty significant for a state that only has 1.33 million people. I just checked the website of the largest utility, and they still have 6 outages, affecting 42 customers.

I mention this because from what I know about how computers work and systems fit together, I suspect that Ken has updated a whole bunch of software, maybe replaced some parts, maybe found things that need updating or replacing that they no longer make, which means finding a different way of doing things and maybe learning how to make the new part or program work smoothly with the other parts - and like the power company, even when he has fixed what probably seems like half a million little things - those last few ones are the hardest ones to find and fix.

I do believe in the power of positive energy - so please send some good thoughts Ken's way.

And I do have a bit of good news! As some of you may know, even before the current troubles with the server, we had been planning to set up a new website using newer software that would be easier to update and (after the usual learning curve) would be easier to use. We were - and are - planning for a gradual transition, after which the current website and forum will be archived so it will be available for research - or just looking back to see what the names of the chicks were in 2015 - and we'll eventually start using the new website, which will have a new forum that we can use to continue documenting what's happening with the eagles.

Even though there are still a few things we'd like to improve - we are pleased to be able to introduce our future Live Cams page now, so people will be able to use it now to view the cams, rather than going to the WildEarth site.

Here's the link - http://hwf.simian-studios.ca/live-cams/ - and a big thanks to gemini who found and installed the pictures for the buttons for the various cams!

And please do feel free to post observations here while we are waiting for the website and forum to come back online. We won't be able to move them to the regular forum - but it will let people know if the adults have been seen or what is happening at the nests. And we can summarize the activity once the forum is back. We do ask if you are a current forum member that you register with the same user name so we'll recognize you and approve your registration - and we do need to approve everyone manually, so it may take a while if none of us are online. If you registered the last time we had a major outage and now have a new user name, please email me and I can change your old user name to your current one (or I can see which one we have - just remind me what it might be!).

And for those who are on Facebook, we do also have updates on our Hancock Wildlife Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/pg/Hancock-Wild ... 4430480179. (And a big thanks to Jean and Lydia who have been posting updates and replying to many of the questions there!)

Please do feel free to share this information with others who are wondering what's going on - even if they don't join the temporary backup forum, the Updates thread is public to read.

Thank you all for your patience and good wishes - and we all hope that everything will be back to normal soon!

IrishEyes

Post by IrishEyes » Wed Nov 08, 2017 2:00 pm

Thanks so much Judy for the update and all the work you did on the new website and thanks to Sharon also ! :grouphug:
Unfortunately I am not a Facebook member but You..Darlene and I have been zooming..doing posts...observations....Videomaks ...You Tube Videos... daily about H Mills on the back up forum :)

Sending good thoughts to Ken !
Last edited by IrishEyes on Thu Nov 09, 2017 3:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Live Cams : https://hancockwildlife.org/project/live-cams/

Be Respectful ! --- Bev !