Re: Surrey Reserve 2021-2022 Observation and Discussion

This is a place to keep notes about what's happening at White Rock, Delta 2, Harrison Mills and Lafarge while we wait for the Hancock Wildlife site to be back on line.
gemini

Post by gemini » Wed Jan 05, 2022 9:35 am

8:30 am Eagle touches down on SR nest with food and immediately leaves - looks like it is being chased by 4 others. Keep an eye out for the one coming in from the left as it lands on the distant perch on a different branch from what we usually see!

Video: The chase!

11:42 am Checked the DVR but no further visits that I can see.

gemini

Post by gemini » Wed Jan 05, 2022 3:33 pm

3:32 PM Nothing has changed at the SR nest. No visits since the hit and fly this morning.

gemini

Post by gemini » Wed Jan 05, 2022 7:37 pm

4:58 pm Visit to the nest from New Male and current female ......

video New Male and current female visit the nest

JudyB

Post by JudyB » Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:28 am

9:28 am (written at 8:28 but I forgot to click Submit :oops: )

Good morning, everyone! It's currently -3C/27F in Surrey; the temperature should get up to +3C/37F. The forecast is for a few flurries this morning, becoming rain in the afternoon, with rain continuing through the night. Snow expected to be less than 1 cm (less than 1/2 inch), with less than 5 mm rain during the day but 30-40 mm overnight (30 mm is a bit over an inch).

The south cam cover is totally iced up facing the nest; I've moved it to the left a bit so we can see the tall douglas fir and the distant perch, and also another tree. The North cam is offering a clear view of the nest, and I checked the dvr quickly and didn't see any activity. I'm hoping the South cam will clear once the temperature gets above freezing. There is a heating unit in the cam that can help (or make things worse) when the cam fogs up, but I'm reluctant to use it when everything is below freezing for fear that something could crack.

I did check the night perch by the buildings and look around briefly but didn't see anyone - and would expect them to be tucked in somewhere cozy until it gets a bit warmer.

Feel free to move the south cam, and to return it towards a view of the nest if/when it looks as if we can see something there.